Saturday, June 30, 2012

Too Soon?

While hanging out with friends in the far off exotic land of Aurora, Illinois, beside the usual hi-jinks of thrift stores, mexican food and sucker punching the elderly, we stopped at "Kid's Heaven," a party store jam-packed with knick knacks and paddy whacks. It fact, it might remind you of toy/candy stores you hung out at as a kid, mainly because all the merchandise is from the 80's and 90's. I assume they backed up the truck at a long forgotten storage locker/warehouse and stocked the shelves with all that booty, which, as long as you don't eat any of the candy, ("Hey fellers, I don't feel so good no more!" "Mitch, did you happen to notice the expiration on the 7 Milky Way bars you ate?") was good news.
I stocked up on supplies for son Leo's birthday, party invites from Batman and Robin and Jurassic Park, Power Ranger paper plates and pinata stuffing trinkets, superballs, 100 finger puppets, keychains and more. In fact, $72 worth. But make sure to bring cash money because they don't take credit cards. After 20 minutes of ringing up my selections I found this out. And my offer of all the currency I had, $52, was rejected. Goodbye Power Ranger paper plates. We hardly knew ye!
One clue that much of the merchandise was pre-1986 was my crown jewel acquisition of the Challenger space shuttle pinata.
I don't think kids with baseball bats beating it out of the sky until it explodes is in bad taste.
I do have a little common sense after all.
I did pass on purchasing the twin tower pinata!

No comments:

Post a Comment